Lough Rynne, Mohill. Mar 24
Former members of the club have gone on to successfully represent Ireland or their club at World U23 Championships, World University Games, Henley Royal Regatta, Women's Henley, National Senior Championships, the Beijing Olympics, and World Senior Championships.
The club's success is only possible because of the great team spirit and work ethic shown by the rowers, the coaches and the many people who support the club in so many different ways. The members of the club would like to thank everybody who has helped: the coaches who give so much of their time, the committee who keep the club running smoothly and organise fundraising, parents who help out in many ways and the Principal and school who support the club so well.
A Jesuit presence in Galway can be dated to as far back as the 1620's. An invitation in 1859 by the Bishop led to the establishment of St. Ignatius College in 1863. St. Ignatius College continued until 1926 and was re-established as Coláiste Iognáid in 1929.
The school still maintains its Jesuit ethos, although the staff is now predominantly made up of lay persons. The school, and by extension our rowing club, are equally well known locally as "the Jes".
The rowing club was founded in 1934 and has been at its current site at Earl's Island within the grounds of the National University of Ireland, Galway (NUI Galway) since the early nineteen fifties.